What are your favorite Polish upset wins?Or just in general

The place to discuss everything but soccer

What are your favorite Polish upset wins?Or just in general

Postby andyzOr » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:27 pm

So i was getting smashed last night and wanted to watch some boxing. I popped in the classic Albert Sosnowski vs. Danny Williams and rewatched that for like the 20th time :D

Albert Sosnowski TKO8 Danny Williams

Why would this win rank as one of my favorites?

Well for starters, Sosnowski is a amateur-less boxer who was coming off a embarrassing loss to Lawrence. He just came to England and fucked this Muslim boy up!!! When this happened i couldn't believe it that he did it! It was a great win for Sosnowski and it put him back on the map of contendership.

Sosnowski now is the European Heavyweight Champion, his next fight fighting a Olympic Gold Medalist, Audley Harrison.

Can't wait for this bad boy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd-smlkYFLY

Heres a cool article that I wrote about Albert if anyone is interested

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=22630&more=1


Image




Wladyslaw Kozakiewicz Over Konstantin Volkov


Another Polish underdog victory that I have always admired, was one by one of my all time favorite Polish Athletes, Wladyslaw Kozakiewicz.

I remember when I was a little kid and I was watching old recorded videos involving Polish sportsmen. They were showing a lot of historic Polish athletes. It was interesting, but Kozakiewicz took my eye right away no doubt. This dude was a Pole Vaulter and one of the best in Polish history, and one of my favorite Sports Heros in history. Seriously speaking, before I die, I wish I can meet this man and have the honor to shake his hand.

WK was a well respected and good Pole Vaulter prior to the Olympic Games in 1980. Him and Tadeusz Slusarski were the Polish hopefuls in the competition. WK already at one point held the world record, prior to it being broken by 2 other men 1 month later.

He went to the Moscow Olympics in 1980 where he, along with Slusarski, competed for Poland in Pole Vaulting. The heavy favorite in the competition was Konstantin Volkov, who was on his home turf in a very much pro crowd. The crowd made WK feel the discomfort of un-wantingness whilst he competed like the Polish Hero that he is.

As the competition progressed, Koza was facing Volkov for the Gold metal. After a failed attempt from Volkov, WK went on and smashed.

Koza's first vault he made 5.70m high and on his second attempt he made 5.78m, which was a new world record!!!!!!

Kozakiewicz was at this point delighted and full of happiness over the fact that he overcame the odds and won the Gold! The hospitality from the Russian crowd was very anti-Kozakiewicz throughout the whole competition due to the hometown favorite in Volkov.

After the most famous Pole-Vaulting jump in Polish History, and possibly one of the biggest upsets, the Polish Hero, Kozakiewicz showed his passion and expressed his thoughts towards the Russians by showing them what HE REALLY THOUGHT:


Image

The gesture, not only took huge BALLS, which Koza had, but it also showed the passion, the willingness, and the proud stature of this man towards Polska and us Polish fans supporting this great man.

This man not only overcame the odds, but also perfected it by setting a new world record on Russian turf, where he was heavily criticized by Russian supporters of Volkov, and by expressing his true feelings over the Russian bastards.

Seriously, brings a damn tear to my eye everytime I pop in that footage in my VCR. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPu4kux_mPM

In 1978 he came fourth at his second European Championships in Prague, but his best year was definitely 1980. On 11 May 1980, Kozakiewicz set a new world record of 5.72m at Milan, only two months before the Moscow Olympic Games. At Moscow, Kozakiewicz was invincible clearing every height at his first attempt until victory was assured, despite the unsportsmanlike jeering from the partisan Soviet crowd who were supporting the Soviet vaulter Konstantin Volkov. No other vaulter could make the 5.70m height which Kozakiewicz cleared on his first attempt, before clearing a new world record of 5.78m on his second attempt at that height.


Image

Image


Image

Image





Heres a cool commercial of him hahha


http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doc ... plindex=2#

I couldn't find the Moscow Olympics footage of him, but is someone can, please post...

Anyways, those are just 2 off the top of my head, who are some of your favorite Polish Underdog wins?

Honorable Mentions: Poland > Portugal Euro Qualifiers, Adamek over Cunningham, Krzysztof Wlodarczyk over Vincenzo Rossito, Poland > Italy 74' 2-1 WC(Sczarmach's historic header)
User avatar
andyzOr
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 8138
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: tu i tam, tam i tu

Postby Sex Offender » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:59 pm

Great post!!!

Now how about some ways to download this shit?!
Not on rapidshit, if possible...
User avatar
Sex Offender
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 1585
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:45 am

Postby polskadan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:19 pm

that commercial was hilarious! Andyzor, i'm curious how did you find out about all of this, you are 21 years old right? I'm 23 and wasn't around when all of this stuff was big, I mean my parents know of it of course :lol:
Image
User avatar
polskadan
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 2041
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:30 am
Location: Morgantown/Gdansk

Postby APolak4u2nV » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:03 am

Andy has no job; no girlfriend. This formula = TIME
User avatar
APolak4u2nV
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:07 pm
Location: china

Postby andyzOr » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:58 am

polskadan wrote:that commercial was hilarious! Andyzor, i'm curious how did you find out about all of this, you are 21 years old right? I'm 23 and wasn't around when all of this stuff was big, I mean my parents know of it of course :lol:


Im a big boxing fan, i know and follow pretty much every Polish boxer from Wlodarczyk to Adamek to Proksa and Sosnowski, and so on. A little bit of older generation like Darek Michalczewski, Jerzy Kulej, and Zbigniew Pietrzykowski as well.

I learned about Kozakiewicz when i was about 14 or so years old and I was watching old Polish sportsmen videos. I still have that footage when he cleared that jump and told the Russians to fuck off. I cant seem to find it on youtube or anywhere online, but maybe sometime in the future I could upload it on youtube, as the footage is classic part in Polish Sports History.

The man was a beast.

Image

8)
User avatar
andyzOr
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 8138
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: tu i tam, tam i tu

Postby APolak4u2nV » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:36 pm

lol i love the Porn stash this dudes rockin
User avatar
APolak4u2nV
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:07 pm
Location: china

Postby polskaforever » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:45 pm

Our last Olympic gold medalist before Kowalczyk

Image
Image
User avatar
polskaforever
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 6270
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:38 pm

Postby Michal » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:32 pm

haha Wojtek Fotuna...

Kozakiewicz is definately up there

aswell as the the draw at wembley to make the 74 world cup

what about the win v Russia, sorry should say the USSR, in the 50s i think it was ??

in my time id say Jędzrejczak's gold at Athens, coming from a swimming background

and Sawrymowicz's gold at the 2007 world champs in melb, as coz i was with the Polish team in the stands that night and went to the after party with them, great night all round...

an Korzienowski's golds at the olympics, all memorable

and the 2-0 away win to San Marino in 2002, bought tears to my eyes
Image
User avatar
Michal
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 2670
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:42 pm
Location: Mysłowice

Postby polskadan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:18 pm

Were you talking about Poland's win over the USSR in hockey!? That was amazing, should be added to the list. Our own version of the "miracle on ice."
Image
User avatar
polskadan
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 2041
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:30 am
Location: Morgantown/Gdansk

Postby FearTheMullet » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:31 pm

polskadan wrote:Were you talking about Poland's win over the USSR in hockey!? That was amazing, should be added to the list. Our own version of the "miracle on ice."


when was this? :|
User avatar
FearTheMullet
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 2806
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:12 am

Postby polskadan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:27 pm

1976---for people who are not Americans, they consider this the biggest upset in hockey history:

http://internationalhockeylegends.blogspot.com/2007/11/wieslaw-jobczyk.html
Image
User avatar
polskadan
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 2041
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:30 am
Location: Morgantown/Gdansk

Postby polskadan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:30 pm

polskadan wrote:1976---for people who are not Americans, they consider this the biggest upset in hockey history:

http://internationalhockeylegends.blogspot.com/2007/11/wieslaw-jobczyk.html



EDIT: here is a more in depth story to realize the magnitude of the win:

http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/the-iihf/100-year-anniversary/100-top-stories/story-39.html
Image
User avatar
polskadan
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 2041
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:30 am
Location: Morgantown/Gdansk

Postby maciej » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:05 am

yep... it's just a shame the hockey program didn't evolve into something significant afterward. poland is surrounded by credible international teams... i'm stretching it with lithuania but even ukraine was in the 2002 olympics. :lol: the talent exists but the nurturing does not. btw there was a polish hockey player in the olympics this year. the 3rd goalie for sweden, stefan liv was born in poland and adopted by some swedish family.
Image
Image
User avatar
maciej
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 4144
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:23 am
Location: dystopia

Postby Michal » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:07 am

polskadan wrote:Were you talking about Poland's win over the USSR in hockey!? That was amazing, should be added to the list. Our own version of the "miracle on ice."


oh no, i was talking about the football win in 56 i think it was...

anyway the hockey win is also up there! my coach actually told me about this game, i think he event mentioned he was there, and then he said... yeah but the next day we lost 12-0 to the czechs ahah
Image
User avatar
Michal
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 2670
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:42 pm
Location: Mysłowice

Postby Michal » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:11 am

Image
User avatar
Michal
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 2670
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:42 pm
Location: Mysłowice

Postby Rafinho » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:28 pm

Michal wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B72uccrPSLs


Wow that's wicked I never even knew about that.. great post.
Image
User avatar
Rafinho
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 2606
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:04 pm
Location: Hamilton, ONT Pruszkow, POL

Postby FearTheMullet » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:11 pm

its proof that even a minnow can shine, an dhave their day
User avatar
FearTheMullet
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 2806
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:12 am

Postby Sex Offender » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:43 pm

Rafinho wrote:
Michal wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B72uccrPSLs


Wow that's wicked I never even knew about that.. great post.


I'm all for everything Polish...anything to do with Poland...i'm Polish first, American later. But don't any of you think its at least a little bit strange that they beat them 6-4 but then lost like 12-0 the next day or some shit to some other team?!

Looking at that video of those Polish players, they look fucking awesome! Lightning fast...great slap shooters! But what the fuck, man?! How was it not repeatable?! Or at least, how were they not able to not look so bad in all their other games?

Something is very fishy about that whole thing...
User avatar
Sex Offender
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 1585
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:45 am

Postby polskaforever » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:07 pm

Sex Offender wrote:
Rafinho wrote:
Michal wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B72uccrPSLs


Wow that's wicked I never even knew about that.. great post.


I'm all for everything Polish...anything to do with Poland...i'm Polish first, American later. But don't any of you think its at least a little bit strange that they beat them 6-4 but then lost like 12-0 the next day or some shit to some other team?!

Looking at that video of those Polish players, they look fucking awesome! Lightning fast...great slap shooters! But what the fuck, man?! How was it not repeatable?! Or at least, how were they not able to not look so bad in all their other games?

Something is very fishy about that whole thing...


I guess when you think you are on top of the world then something like this will happen one day out of the ordinary......
Image
User avatar
polskaforever
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 6270
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:38 pm

Postby Sex Offender » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:36 pm

polskaforever wrote:
Sex Offender wrote:
Rafinho wrote:
Michal wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B72uccrPSLs


Wow that's wicked I never even knew about that.. great post.


I'm all for everything Polish...anything to do with Poland...i'm Polish first, American later. But don't any of you think its at least a little bit strange that they beat them 6-4 but then lost like 12-0 the next day or some shit to some other team?!

Looking at that video of those Polish players, they look fucking awesome! Lightning fast...great slap shooters! But what the fuck, man?! How was it not repeatable?! Or at least, how were they not able to not look so bad in all their other games?

Something is very fishy about that whole thing...


I guess when you think you are on top of the world then something like this will happen one day out of the ordinary......


SOMEbody was paid...
User avatar
Sex Offender
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 1585
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:45 am

Next

Return to Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests