2016 Summer Olympics

The place to discuss everything but soccer
lewandowskielbasa

Re: 2016 Summer Olympics

Post by lewandowskielbasa » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:13 pm

Sydney Polak wrote:Overall I was disappointing. 2 gold medals is fairly poor. Only Anita Wlodarczyk came in with big expectations, she said what she will achieve and she did just that. Gold and WR. The others who got medals are either unexpected or should have gotten a gold instead of bronze/sliver but something happened in the last moments that made them slip into 2nd or 3rd. Some by sporting ability and other competitiors being better but in most occasions it was the athlete themself who couldn't get the job done to the end. Seriously this happened in so many cases. I'm not dissing the silver and bronze medals because that's an acheivement and most of those athletes were very happy to get whatever they got, but at the end of the day it's the gold medals that get you higher in the rankings and we only had 2.

I was thinking to myself that the olympics are all about money. The countries that invest the most into the coaching, development, equipment, facilities and so on usually get the gold medals. And that's true. Look at India. Most populated country in the world but they're poor and only got 1 silver and 1 bronze medal. BUT have a look a a few countries that were above us. Kazachstan, Uzbekistan, Iran. They dont have money to be spending on sports but they managed to do well. And would you have a look at our brothers Hungary. What an example. 12th in the rankings with 8 gold medals, 3 silver, 4 bronze. That's the sort of numbers we should be getting. Unfortunately we have the Polish Sport Mentality. Its a thing - I'm telling you. When the pressure is on we have to crumble.
I believe you are spot on. Maybe something I can add is those nations before mentioned seem to focus on specific folklore sports. Polish athletics does a quality job of qualifying, hence why Poland appears in most of the mainstream sports - especially the women

Summer Olympics does not matter to me as much as Winter. There are countless sports/games in the Summer so a nation could focus on an obscure activity and load up on medals. Maybe I am wrong but I do believe there is some truth to this. In other words Poland might be biting off more than it can chew but I still enjoy seeing Polish athletes in almost every popular sport.