ACL Injury

The place to discuss everything but soccer
EUro_soccer
Youth Team
Youth Team

ACL Injury

Post by EUro_soccer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:41 pm

I tore my ACL playing soccer two weeks ago and will need surgery. I have been to two orthopedists and have gotten back different responses. One recommends the hamstring graft while the other the allograft procedure (cadaver). Two of my friends that I play soccer with have both had the hamstring procedure and are doing well. Has anyone had an operation to repair their ACL? If yes, can you tell me which procedure you chose and the results you have seen? I live a pretty active lifestyle (soccer, football, basketball, tennis, skiing, etc.) and want to get back to sports ASAP, but want to make sure that I don't reinjure myself and have to go through it all over again. I have read through a ton of material online but believe the best source of information is by talking to people that have had these procedures. Thanks for any feedback.

PolishPrancer
First Team
First Team

Re: ACL Injury

Post by PolishPrancer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:26 pm

How did you tear it?
ps.com has seen napster, aj axurre, rasiak, msn messenger - all of them - come and go quietly into the good night, and here it stands - a profitable internet giant in the face of all obstacles making a tidy profit from google adsense - JDE

EUro_soccer
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by EUro_soccer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:40 pm

PolishPrancer wrote:How did you tear it?
I was going for the ball and a defender came from the side. His knee hit my knee after I had already planted it and then twisted. No pop, but a lot of pain...

johnz88

Post by johnz88 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:21 pm

I tore my acl in december 2011, I was playing indoor soccer and I twisted my knee too far when my foot was planted. There was a pop and I felt like throwing up right after so i knew it wasn't good. I finally had my surgery on May 18th so its been just over 3 months now and recovery is good so far. The type of fix I had was using the patellar tendon, which is cutting part of the tendon which connects your leg to the knee cap and inserting it in place of acl. I dont know if anyone brought up this option for you but from what I read it has similar results to a hamstring one. Maybe even better since the patellar is chipped out with bone on either end which will create a strong fuse with the bone on the inside of the knee. I'm sure both have pros and cons. I plan on playing soccer next summer, so I am taking a full year off.

EUro_soccer
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by EUro_soccer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:07 pm

johnz88 wrote:I tore my acl in december 2011, I was playing indoor soccer and I twisted my knee too far when my foot was planted. There was a pop and I felt like throwing up right after so i knew it wasn't good. I finally had my surgery on May 18th so its been just over 3 months now and recovery is good so far. The type of fix I had was using the patellar tendon, which is cutting part of the tendon which connects your leg to the knee cap and inserting it in place of acl. I dont know if anyone brought up this option for you but from what I read it has similar results to a hamstring one. Maybe even better since the patellar is chipped out with bone on either end which will create a strong fuse with the bone on the inside of the knee. I'm sure both have pros and cons. I plan on playing soccer next summer, so I am taking a full year off.
Yes I have, it's recommended because it's supposedly the closest ligament to the acl in our body and is very strong, but the downside is that many people report knee pain afterwards. This is why it's last on my list.

karmakop
First Team
First Team

Post by karmakop » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:21 pm

EUro_soccer wrote:
johnz88 wrote:I tore my acl in december 2011, I was playing indoor soccer and I twisted my knee too far when my foot was planted. There was a pop and I felt like throwing up right after so i knew it wasn't good. I finally had my surgery on May 18th so its been just over 3 months now and recovery is good so far. The type of fix I had was using the patellar tendon, which is cutting part of the tendon which connects your leg to the knee cap and inserting it in place of acl. I dont know if anyone brought up this option for you but from what I read it has similar results to a hamstring one. Maybe even better since the patellar is chipped out with bone on either end which will create a strong fuse with the bone on the inside of the knee. I'm sure both have pros and cons. I plan on playing soccer next summer, so I am taking a full year off.
Yes I have, it's recommended because it's supposedly the closest ligament to the acl in our body and is very strong, but the downside is that many people report knee pain afterwards. This is why it's last on my list.
i had surgery on april 1tth. used my pat tendon. went to physcial therapy for 2 months, then had to go to poland, came back hom from Poland and never went back to therapy. i dont really get much pain anymore and the pain i do have is usually caused from standing all day at my job. also my quads are still small since i havent been going to therapy. the more muscle u build around the knee after surgery, the less strain u put on ur joint and therefore less pain. from hearing first hand stories and from reading a ton of shit on the web I think re injuring the knee is random as fuck no matter what u do after surgery. I think physical therapists are good for showing what type of exercises to do and when to increase increments or adding more exercises... but going to therapy is a big waste of money. i would spend 2.5 hours there 2 or 3 times a week doing the exact same shit i could do at home. i pray this thinking doesnt bite me in the ass but like i said, i think reinjury chances are random.

have fun first week after surgery. its gonna be fun. :lol:

jastkowice
Official PS.com Flag Bearer
Official PS.com Flag Bearer

Post by jastkowice » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:20 am

I tore my ACL in 2006, playing Semi pro ball in Germany and I actually had partially tore it weeks before and rehabbed but when it snapped it fucking snapped hard under pressure as I was pushing a 6'8 320 offensive lineman up field - it sounded like somebody shot me with a shotgun a huge loud pop.

About your options - My surgeon in Germany was actually the Mens National Handball team leading surgeon and he advised me to do the hamstring graft, he said the patella graft can cause problems in the future. So, I did what he said. As for the cadaver graft I heard many NFL players opt for this, but again problems with bad grafts, body rejection and complications is also a risk to take.

Rehab and Pain - first couple of weeks even after surgery will be very painful, my calf and leg killed and lost many sleepless nights, the rehab is probably the hardest I have ever had in my life and I have had many different surgeries. There is nothing that compares to this.

Playing again - after 5 years my knee is still not the same although strong enough, I would never risk playing sports that can potentially re-injure my knee although things happen and I actually tore my meniscus playing basketball 60 percent of it had to be removed.

Apart from that the knee is decent, winter time sucks as you can really feel the pain. Hopefully, you are still young and can recover well but I would definitely advise taking at least a year off and doing everything you can to rehab as best possible. Making sure you strengthen all the muscles around your knee doing plyometrics and tons of lateral movements later on will make you more mobile. I found that this is key, but at my age I would never play football again to risk re injuring and going through the procedure once again.

Best of luck bro and if you have any questions dont hesitate.

karmakop
First Team
First Team

Post by karmakop » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:47 am

jastkowice wrote:I tore my ACL in 2006, playing Semi pro ball in Germany and I actually had partially tore it weeks before and rehabbed but when it snapped it fucking snapped hard under pressure as I was pushing a 6'8 320 offensive lineman up field - it sounded like somebody shot me with a shotgun a huge loud pop.

About your options - My surgeon in Germany was actually the Mens National Handball team leading surgeon and he advised me to do the hamstring graft, he said the patella graft can cause problems in the future. So, I did what he said. As for the cadaver graft I heard many NFL players opt for this, but again problems with bad grafts, body rejection and complications is also a risk to take.

Rehab and Pain - first couple of weeks even after surgery will be very painful, my calf and leg killed and lost many sleepless nights, the rehab is probably the hardest I have ever had in my life and I have had many different surgeries. There is nothing that compares to this.

Playing again - after 5 years my knee is still not the same although strong enough, I would never risk playing sports that can potentially re-injure my knee although things happen and I actually tore my meniscus playing basketball 60 percent of it had to be removed.

Apart from that the knee is decent, winter time sucks as you can really feel the pain. Hopefully, you are still young and can recover well but I would definitely advise taking at least a year off and doing everything you can to rehab as best possible. Making sure you strengthen all the muscles around your knee doing plyometrics and tons of lateral movements later on will make you more mobile. I found that this is key, but at my age I would never play football again to risk re injuring and going through the procedure once again.

so you got hamstring graft but ur knee still hurts from time to time? i bet it never feels the same no matter what u get. my firend also got hamstring and after a year he says he still gets pain. like i said i had the patella done and rehabed for only 2 months and yea i get pain but its manageable. i also only get noticeable pain if im doing something on my feet for a while. i wont be doing any hard sports til next summer so i still have a ton of time to build muscle around the knee. my injured knee quads are still so much smaller than my regular quads. only thing im worried about is that by not building my quads right away is that i'll ruin my cartilage.

Jastkowice, do u have some specific exercises that u think are the best for rehab. like leg press? lunges? leg extensions?

EUro_soccer
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by EUro_soccer » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:30 pm

jastkowice wrote:I tore my ACL in 2006, playing Semi pro ball in Germany and I actually had partially tore it weeks before and rehabbed but when it snapped it fucking snapped hard under pressure as I was pushing a 6'8 320 offensive lineman up field - it sounded like somebody shot me with a shotgun a huge loud pop.

Thanks for all the input Jastkowice. I'm 26 (fairly young) so I hope to recover well, as mentioned before my friend who has the same doctor got the hamstring graft and he is back and playing again with no pain in his knee. The more I talk to people the more I'm leaning towards hamstring, but I won't say it's my final decision until talking to more people. I play soccer year round, pick-up during the summer and indoor leagues during the winter.

Karmakop - have you ever heard of and/or tried P90x? They have a plyometrics dvd that I used to do and will have to do this to strengthen my legs after surgery. It's a bitch to do, but a great work out.

APolak4u2nV
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by APolak4u2nV » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:15 am

I once was a footballer like you, until I took an arrow to the ACL....

nicram
First Team
First Team

Post by nicram » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:18 am

"If Legia resigned Kosecki i put a clause in there for 10 mill just to protect the player"
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I have 2 broken fingers in my leg and I'm still here!
hejters gona hejt

kubas

Post by kubas » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:25 pm

I've had my acl recon surgery done over 10 years ago, by maple leafs surgeon, Dr zarnett. It was a patella tendon graft, never had any problems since.
I had frends that had ham graft done more than once, and both times they failed.