Are fans/commentators/reporters this dumb in NA??

The place to discuss everything but soccer
scyzor_tay
First Team
First Team
Posts: 9856
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:36 pm

Post by scyzor_tay » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:34 pm

Dj Domino wrote:
scyzor_tay wrote:
Sex Offender wrote:Thats a straight red! NO QUESTIONS...even if it was accidental, and it DIDN'T look like he was trying to infict any harm, he was too high up with his studs and NO ONE should be going for a ball that way.
Exactly!!
Dj Domino wrote:
scyzor_tay wrote:Maybe 3-4 years ago there was a team from Ottawa called Ottawa St Anthony.... they played in the Ottawa district Premier League but this team killed Canada, they won everything... league cup, league, Ontario Cup, Canada Cup and Canada Open Cup.... if they were still around with that squad they could eat TFC.. ever since TFC came in they are scared to play a Open Canada Cup tournament bc they know they could get embarrassed by CSL or OSL teams. Now there is a 3 team competition for Canada Cup and whoever wins calls themselves champions of canada.. lol joke. The Open Canada Cup hasnt been played since 2007.
That... that's just not true at all. That Ottawa St. Anthony's team was nowhere near the level of TFC.
Please explain why? Ill hear what you have to say first..
I dunno, I've seen them play and I've seen TFC play and from what I've seen they are nowhere near that level. They were a very good team, but they barely beat out the Cataraqui Clippers in the league and Ontario Cup (if this is the same team we're thinking of, it must be). My brother used to play for that team, I actually went to the Ontario Cup game they played against each other, I think it was the quarters? Either way, it was way too early for them to play against each other. It was a very intense game, some of the best soccer I've seen at that level. But still, it is nowhere near MLS level.
Naw, no way it was the same team we are talking about..

Ottawa St Anthony 2006 Ontario Cup:

Finals: St Anthony (3 - 2) Scarborough GS United (Golden Goal)
Semi Finals: St Anthony (3 - 2) Oakville Wisla United (Golden Goal)
1/4 Finals: St Anthony (7 - 1) Milton CSC Karlovac-Velebi
3rd Round: Brantford Vicano (2 - 5) St Anthony
2nd Round: St Anthony (7 - 1) Woodbridge Italia
1st Round: Ottawa Royals (1 - 2) St. Anthony
Preliminary: Kingston Limestone City (0 - 1) St. Anthony


2006 CSL Open Cup Results:

Final: St Anthony (2-0) Toronto Lynx (USL)
Semi Final: Brampton Stallions (CSL) (1-3) St Anthony
Wild Card: London City (CSL) (1-3) St. Anthony
3rd Round: St Anthony (1-0) Windsor Border Stars (CSL)
2nd Round: Laval Dynamites (CSL) (2-4) St Anthony
1st Round: St. Anthony (2-0) Montreal Panellinios

2006 Canadian National Championships
Men's Challenge Cup, Surrey, B.C.
October 4-9, 2006

ON-St Anthony (1) vs AB-Calgary Callies (0)
Goal: Some
ON-St Anthony (2) vs NS-Scotia M-I Men (0)
Goals: Osman, Gagou
ON-St Anthony (0) vs BC-Sapperton Rovers (0)
ON-St Anthony (4) vs MB-Lucania (0)
Goals: Osman(2), Some(2)
ON-St Anthony (5) vs BC-Vancouver Firefighters (3)
Goals: Gagou(3), Osman(2)

They still won the league that year but they were not a league team.. they were focusing on winning the major cups. 18 games in 3 major tournaments alone.. 17W 1T 0L

User avatar
Dj Domino
First Team
First Team
Posts: 6257
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:45 pm

Post by Dj Domino » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:40 pm

Ya it is the same team, I was talking about Limestone City when I said Cataraqui Clippers. Clippers didn't have a u21 team so all the players went to Limestone City who only have a u21 team. I guess it wasn't the quarters though, was the preliminary round.

scyzor_tay
First Team
First Team
Posts: 9856
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:36 pm

Post by scyzor_tay » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:42 pm

Dj Domino wrote:Ya it is the same team, I was talking about Limestone City when I said Cataraqui Clippers. Clippers didn't have a u21 team so all the players went to Limestone City who only have a u21 team. I guess it wasn't the quarters though, was the preliminary round.
Quarters compared to Premilminary is a MASSIVE difference.. if you went to the final or the semi vs Wisla you would see how good the level is.

User avatar
Dj Domino
First Team
First Team
Posts: 6257
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:45 pm

Post by Dj Domino » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:54 pm

scyzor_tay wrote:
Dj Domino wrote:Ya it is the same team, I was talking about Limestone City when I said Cataraqui Clippers. Clippers didn't have a u21 team so all the players went to Limestone City who only have a u21 team. I guess it wasn't the quarters though, was the preliminary round.
Quarters compared to Premilminary is a MASSIVE difference.. if you went to the final or the semi vs Wisla you would see how good the level is.
St. Anthony's were barely any better than Limestone City. They barely won that prelim game and they've played other matches against each other, always very close. I'm sure LCFC has beaten them before.

User avatar
Benek
First Team
First Team
Posts: 13897
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:47 am

Post by Benek » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:38 pm

scyzor_tay wrote: my friend played for Italian Shooters when they beat Toronto FC 4-1 last season in a friendly... TFC players were shook.... they were crying using excuses.... GS United of OSL can easily play on TFC level.. dont doubt the CSL...
Well with that reasoning...

New York Red Bulls beat Lech Poznan, Ekstraklasa champion.
New York Red Bulls spanked Santos, a damn good Brazilian team.
New York Red Bulls spanked Juventus!!!

so....

New York Red Bulls > Lech Poznan
New York Red Bulls > Santos
New York Red Bulls > Juventus

Seriously Tay, a bunch of semi-pro amateurs are not better than MLS players.
Image

User avatar
dczip
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:11 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Post by dczip » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:45 pm

Seen players being hurt where no card has been shown and plays that should have just been a foul get a red card. It was a clumsy foul, eyes not on the other player, and a mistimed attempt to get the ball.

User avatar
Czas Na EB
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
Posts: 2632
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:13 pm
Location: Vancouver

Post by Czas Na EB » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:52 pm

dczip wrote:Seen players being hurt where no card has been shown and plays that should have just been a foul get a red card. It was a clumsy foul, eyes not on the other player, and a mistimed attempt to get the ball.
Exactly!

But we are all "not normal" :roll:
"Euro 2012 will be a tournament of upsets.... I know I'm already upset about Poland"

Image

jerzy_dudek1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
Posts: 2304
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:17 pm
Location: london ontario

Post by jerzy_dudek1 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:20 pm

Im kinda with scyzor on this one about st. anthony...

I saw st. anthony play vs london city (CSL) even though london city are shit and a league above st. anthony they were really good. I remember one central midfielder, black guy, think he had dread locks, he was just destroying everyone with his dribiling and passing ability, that team did not belong in the league they were in they were simply too good from the games i saw against london city. they should atleast be in the USL and POSSIBLY mls. Not saying they would be a contender or even above mid table but they sure as hell could have gave teams a run for their money

User avatar
TheWhiteStarArmy
First Team
First Team
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:30 am
Location: Here and there

Post by TheWhiteStarArmy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:34 pm

Over the course of the season, no, they couldn't have given teams a run for their money. In a one off game? Anything is possible.

I've worked for a soccer team in the USL. We had people always coming to the team thinking they were hot shit. They would try out or get a trial and be complete shit.

Yeah, MLS and USL aren't the best leagues in the world, but they're a helluva lot better than any of you give them credit for.
Image

User avatar
Benek
First Team
First Team
Posts: 13897
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:47 am

Post by Benek » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:43 pm

Darren Tilley played in the CSL with Mississauga Olympians at the time, he was even the CSL Golden Boot winner. He also played with the Montreal Impact, the Toronto Lynx. Even played with the Bristol Rovers F.C. back in the day. He also coached the Rochester Rhinos. During tryout he brought in a few players from the CSL... including Evan Milward which played for the Brampton Lions and scored 12 goals in 16 games. Well in the USL, he was a total bum, still one of the worst players to ever play for the Rhinos, every time he touched the ball he got owned. He got mocked so much on Rhinos forums that even Evan's father got into it defending his boy lol Out of the 6 or so CSL dudes that Darren brought in, only one made it. So i can't imagine how bad some of those guys were preseason training.

The Rhinos last year played a friendly vs Italia Shooters, biggest waste of a game ever. It was like Spain vs Poland actually, and this Italia team looked like the Poles.
Image

User avatar
Benek
First Team
First Team
Posts: 13897
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:47 am

Post by Benek » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:45 pm

Yo TheWhiteStarArmy!! how's Cleveland kid! still can't believe ya folded.
Image

scyzor_tay
First Team
First Team
Posts: 9856
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:36 pm

Post by scyzor_tay » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:58 pm

Dj Domino wrote:
scyzor_tay wrote:
Dj Domino wrote:Ya it is the same team, I was talking about Limestone City when I said Cataraqui Clippers. Clippers didn't have a u21 team so all the players went to Limestone City who only have a u21 team. I guess it wasn't the quarters though, was the preliminary round.
Quarters compared to Premilminary is a MASSIVE difference.. if you went to the final or the semi vs Wisla you would see how good the level is.
St. Anthony's were barely any better than Limestone City. They barely won that prelim game and they've played other matches against each other, always very close. I'm sure LCFC has beaten them before.
So what.. Does that mean Limestone City can win the 3 biggest cups in Canada in one season? Limestone was def not on their level.. sometimes you win 1-0, sometimes you win 3-0. This Limestone probably cant even win the Ottawa premier league.
jerzy_dudek1 wrote:Im kinda with scyzor on this one about st. anthony...

I saw st. anthony play vs london city (CSL) even though london city are shit and a league above st. anthony they were really good. I remember one central midfielder, black guy, think he had dread locks, he was just destroying everyone with his dribiling and passing ability, that team did not belong in the league they were in they were simply too good from the games i saw against london city. they should atleast be in the USL and POSSIBLY mls. Not saying they would be a contender or even above mid table but they sure as hell could have gave teams a run for their money
This guy.. Urbaine Some.. he is French..
Image

Yea he was really good.. captain too.. not sure where most of these players are now but I heard this guy played in Europe for a bit too.. France apparently.. but he was already like 29 or 28 when they won all of those in 2006.. Ottawa St Anthony was stacked and they were a big team.. there was a few players on there like 6'6.. central defender white guy and defensive midfielder black guy were massive.

scyzor_tay
First Team
First Team
Posts: 9856
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:36 pm

Post by scyzor_tay » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:35 pm

Benek wrote:Darren Tilley played in the CSL with Mississauga Olympians at the time, he was even the CSL Golden Boot winner. He also played with the Montreal Impact, the Toronto Lynx. Even played with the Bristol Rovers F.C. back in the day. He also coached the Rochester Rhinos. During tryout he brought in a few players from the CSL... including Evan Milward which played for the Brampton Lions and scored 12 goals in 16 games. Well in the USL, he was a total bum, still one of the worst players to ever play for the Rhinos, every time he touched the ball he got owned. He got mocked so much on Rhinos forums that even Evan's father got into it defending his boy lol Out of the 6 or so CSL dudes that Darren brought in, only one made it. So i can't imagine how bad some of those guys were preseason training.

The Rhinos last year played a friendly vs Italia Shooters, biggest waste of a game ever. It was like Spain vs Poland actually, and this Italia team looked like the Poles.
Please man.. the worst thing is you acting like the only talent available in NA exists in MLS or USL or in College in the states.. that is fucking bullshit. There is lots of talent in Canada.. you would be shocked.. the main difference between TFC players and players in CSL or OSL is fitness levels and professionalism.. the TFC players are "more" pro than the rest so it is easier to say they are better.. their surroundings are 10x better than that of CSL. But individually.. CSL and OSL has just as good talent. Do not talk about "tryouts" or whatever because a tryout is not something thats easy.. have you ever been to one at that level yourself? Probably not so you cant call someone out on that.. lots of players that go to tryouts are not ready or properly prepared especially in terms of fitness.. lots of players that go into tryouts are not educated properly on what they needed to train.. lots of them wont take the training that serious so their trainings are just relaxed.. sports is not easy.. it is hard to motivate yourself.. some players go into tryouts with no intentions.. ALOT of players dont see the big point in trying to play USL when you can play CSL or OSL.. half of the USL players go no where.. why would you want to give up your family and friends and life to go play basically the same level in a entirely different country/area.. some people can do it.. but alot dont have motivation to do that. There are lots of factors that come into this.

I never once said all MLS players are shit.. or I hate the league.. I still go to the games.. I would love to be in a MLS team.. but I know for a fact CSL and OSL has players equally as good or better.. but like I said it comes down to a few things to why they cannot be in MLS or what seperates them (and those things that seperate them have nothing to do with technique or skill/talent).

As for players like DeRo and JdG.. I dont see what is so special about them.. any player can score a nice goal.. but that doesnt make them a great player.. I cant say too much about it but from what I have seen in real life and the few games I have seen them play on TV.. is nothing too special.. and this is for hyped up players.. that are the "biggest players" in the club. JdG.. he might have been good in Spain.. but the way he is playing in Toronto at the moment only proves how good Europe is and how good the players around him were. I know JdG can be a good player but he shouldnt be in MLS because he can survive playing above MLS level.. him coming down to MLS level drops his own playing style and it makes him play worse. In Spain he was around players that were 10x better than the ones around him at TFC.. thats the reason his passing and movement is shit. He had offers all across Europe and he rejected.. do you think he still has those same offers? He made a fool out of himself IMO. That is his fault.. he wanted to come here and now he makes over 15 horrible passes in one game.

As for other players in TFC that are American or Canadian born or raised here.. not talking about imported players.. they are nothing special.. why doesnt TFC pick talent from Canada? Because TFC has no faith in Canadian players.. they only have faith in the players who are in the system already.. which is sad. How many players in TFC squad are Canadian? 5? 6 max? There is more Americans where there is absolutely no need for them to be at this club. Those Americans should be Canadian players. the reason TFC doesnt have faith in the Canadian players is because they are under MLS which of course is American.. and MLS controls the teams.. if they didnt control the teams there would be 1 American player at TFC max. That is exactly why MLS is expanding to Canada so they can inject more American players into the system here and try to overpower CSL.. Canada should have its own big funded professional league (thats why CSL is trying to improve the league and structure) and MLS should just be American. Unfortunately USA has WAY more money.

We will see how Vancouver Whitecaps plays out.. how many players they will bring in that are already IN the MLS system or if they will support talent from Canada.. same goes for Montreal Impact when they come to MLS.. we will see how many Americans will come to the team.

Im sorry but American players are all hyped up.. there are a few good select ones but American system and players are hype.. They are addicted to fitness and thats what it all comes down to. USA mens national team cannot compete with any European or South American team and even some African teams on terms of technique and talent.. but they can compete on fitness and speed and counter attacking tactics... like I said, you can score a nice goal.. but that does not mean you are a great player.. does not mean you are a complete player.

As for TFC youth system or youth teams.. 90% of those players will not even make it to MLS. There is not enough room in MLS, plus there is not enough support for Canadian talent from the Canadian team(s) that are/will be in MLS.

User avatar
Benek
First Team
First Team
Posts: 13897
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:47 am

Post by Benek » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:43 pm

scyzor_tay wrote: Please man.. the worst thing is you acting like the only talent available in NA exists in MLS or USL or in College in the states.. that is fucking bullshit. There is lots of talent in Canada.. you would be shocked..
So much talent, so why is Canada one of the weakest sides in the CONCACAF?

Tay, you'd like to be in the MLS? Trying to ask serious question here... are you one of these good CSL or OSL players?

Also this Urbaine Some guy, do you have any other info on him? because google and yahoo bring up nothing on this guy. I'd just like to look this guy up, and read up on him a bit.
Image

User avatar
Benek
First Team
First Team
Posts: 13897
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:47 am

Post by Benek » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:46 pm

Also the CSL does get scouted, after all, TFC has a team in the CSL. TFC Academy.
Image

scyzor_tay
First Team
First Team
Posts: 9856
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:36 pm

Post by scyzor_tay » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:55 pm

Benek wrote:
scyzor_tay wrote: Please man.. the worst thing is you acting like the only talent available in NA exists in MLS or USL or in College in the states.. that is fucking bullshit. There is lots of talent in Canada.. you would be shocked..
So much talent, so why is Canada one of the weakest sides in the CONCACAF?

Tay, you'd like to be in the MLS? Trying to ask serious question here... are you one of these good CSL or OSL players?

Also this Urbaine Some guy, do you have any other info on him? because google and yahoo bring up nothing on this guy. I'd just like to look this guy up, and read up on him a bit.
I cant tell you why Canada has one of the weakest sides.. there is lots of politics when it comes to sports, you should know that.. and also deals with money and funding.. Canada does not have as good of programs as USA in terms of funding. good players get overlooked all of the time. Its not as simple as you think it is. For a player to just come from CSL or OSL and to the NT would be rare.. most players on the NT have been in those systems for years. I know players who have been to national tryouts or attempted to get them but the coaches didnt even look at them.. or were pure assholes. Did you see Canadas U20 team at the U20 WC in Canada? The team got owned.. most of the players on that team were already in the system when they were 14 or 15 years old.

Yea I would like to be in MLS.. doesnt mean I can make it right away but what Im saying is that I would play there so Im not doubting how good the level is. I have played in OSL for 3 years and U21 OSL but my team dropped to RSL.. I dont train much anymore.. lost lots of motivation for the sport due to politics and bullshit.. soccer is not a joke and its not easy, and its defo not easy to pack your bags to go play the same level soccer for USL team and make peanuts.. what is a little money going to do.. you cant just walk up and do it, there are risks and things you have to give up.. Im trying to build my motivation back up so I can begin to train but that is my business. Either way this topic is not about me.. I am speaking for all talented Canadian players.

I searched his name as well, couldnt find anything.. not sure..
Benek wrote:Also the CSL does get scouted, after all, TFC has a team in the CSL. TFC Academy.
That is just ignorant man.. just because TFC Academy is in the league doesnt mean TFC scouts that league.. they dont give 2 shits about the CSL.. they have the team in that league so it can play in a good level and try to develop some players and turn them into possible MLS players.. thats about it. If you are not with TFC, they dont care about you or who you are.. same goes for the Canadian NT system.

User avatar
Benek
First Team
First Team
Posts: 13897
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:47 am

Post by Benek » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:13 am

scyzor_tay wrote: I have played in OSL for 3 years and U21 OSL but my team dropped to RSL.. I dont train much anymore.. lost lots of motivation for the sport due to politics and bullshit..
Well start training Tay, i'll get you a tryout with the Rhinos next season. I'll come and i'll watch and if I like what I see, i'll even call up some buddies in Colorado and try to get someone from the Rapids to take a look at ya.

scyzor_tay wrote:That is just ignorant man.. just because TFC Academy is in the league doesnt mean TFC scouts that league.. they dont give 2 shits about the CSL.. they have the team in that league so it can play in a good level and try to develop some players and turn them into possible MLS players.. thats about it. If you are not with TFC, they dont care about you or who you are.. same goes for the Canadian NT system.
How is it ignorant? If they are playing vs some team and a player or two are totally owning it, you don't think these coaches get together with actual TFC ppl and say "yo, this kid is a beast, we should look into him"...
Image

scyzor_tay
First Team
First Team
Posts: 9856
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:36 pm

Post by scyzor_tay » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:15 am

Benek wrote:
scyzor_tay wrote: I have played in OSL for 3 years and U21 OSL but my team dropped to RSL.. I dont train much anymore.. lost lots of motivation for the sport due to politics and bullshit..
Well start training Tay, i'll get you a tryout with the Rhinos next season. I'll come and i'll watch and if I like what I see, i'll even call up some buddies in Colorado and try to get someone from the Rapids to take a look at ya.

scyzor_tay wrote:That is just ignorant man.. just because TFC Academy is in the league doesnt mean TFC scouts that league.. they dont give 2 shits about the CSL.. they have the team in that league so it can play in a good level and try to develop some players and turn them into possible MLS players.. thats about it. If you are not with TFC, they dont care about you or who you are.. same goes for the Canadian NT system.
How is it ignorant? If they are playing vs some team and a player or two are totally owning it, you don't think these coaches get together with actual TFC ppl and say "yo, this kid is a beast, we should look into him"...
Well its ignorant because its not true.. they really dont care man.. they dont have to "see them" to say "we should look at him" .. chances are if theres a good player in CSL or OSL.. they have already heard about him but dont give it any attention. It doesnt concern them.. a team like TFC would say "we can find that player elsewhere." The team is run by Mo Johnston so his focus isnt Canadian talent.. and owned by MLSE - all they care about is money.

User avatar
Dj Domino
First Team
First Team
Posts: 6257
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:45 pm

Post by Dj Domino » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:23 pm

Hah Evan Millward. He played for the Cataraqui Clippers with my brother. He was very good for that level, always scored bags of goals. Small but got it done. He was a class above everyone he played against. He played with Limestone City too I'm pretty sure.

And TFC does scout the CSL. They had multiple guys on trial with them this preseason. If they were good enough they would have been signed. Think about it, if the CSL has a bunch of players who are good enough to play MLS why doesn't TFC sign them? They would be cheap as fuck and MLSE would save money which is apparently all they care about.

User avatar
karmakop
First Team
First Team
Posts: 5269
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 9:22 pm
Location: Hyde Park, NY

Post by karmakop » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:52 pm

Let me tell u guys all something. A lot of these usl, mls players aret that great skill wise. What separates them from a lot of good college kids is that they are insanely fit. I went to school at UB and played some games against our teams starters as well as some of their friends from the rhinos. I was actually very surprised cuz i thought i wouldnt belong on the same field as these kids but i did. I was just as good if not better than many of them, but they could sprint the full 90 where as i could only last 30 min. Once i got tired i couldnt do jack shit against any of them. The skill level in all these north american leagues doesnt vary much. All a little bit better than the best college kids.

Idk if u guys know who Craig Copano is but hes from my town, captain of US mens u20 team like 6 years ago. He got drafted and played a few games for the Chicago fire and then tore his acl. Anyways, my friends and I all watched this kid play and no one was ever overly impressed. Most kids were always amazed that hes considered to be so good cuz he didnt dominate anyone in the area.

Im sayin if ur athletic and devote all ur time to one sport than I think u can make it to a pretty high level. I regret not focusing more time on soccer.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests