World Cup: Fifa to expand competition to 48 teams

Discuss all the hot topics from the world of international soccer
Piast_PL
Youth Team
Youth Team

World Cup: Fifa to expand competition to 48 teams

Post by Piast_PL » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:58 am

So looks like the rumours were true, were going to an initial stage of 16 groups of three teams which will then precede a knockout stage for the remaining 32 when the change is made for the 2026 tournament. Looks like Polska won't have a problem qualifying by then...

Thoughts?
"To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat." - Józef Piłsudski

jerzy_dudek1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: World Cup: Fifa to expand competition to 48 teams

Post by jerzy_dudek1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:19 pm

Is it a knockout stage at 32 teams or another round robin ? I think the whole idea is ridiculous

polskaforever

Post by polskaforever » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:50 pm

Its a great idea. It makes a lot of sense. There arent a lot of quality teams in this tourney say compared to EUROs. Yes other weak federations will get an extra spot or more here and there but most spots will go to Europe.

They want the tourney to have more of a global reach like Olympics.

lewandowskielbasa

Post by lewandowskielbasa » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:42 pm

Win-Win situation. Instead of re-evaluating how to cut up the pie, let's just make the pie larger.

My only issue is if they use this opportunity to load up on crappy 3rd World spots. One could argue this move guarantees the $$$ (USA and Arab nations) are all but guaranteed qualifying. There better be a move to also reward improving UEFA

This is good news for the Polish NT but horrible news for the viewer in general. Quality of play will nose dive and remain at a low level for much of our adult lives. But again, Poland will probably feast on these 3rd World national teams.

Piotrkol1

Post by Piotrkol1 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Piast_PL wrote:Looks like Polska won't have a problem qualifying by then...
polskaforever wrote:Yes other weak federations will get an extra spot or more here and there but most spots will go to Europe.
From the articles I have read, most people are expecting Europe to gain only 3 slots, so it won't really be that much easier for Poland to qualify.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soc ... a2cc754e5c

Sydney Polak

Post by Sydney Polak » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:05 am

Terrible, terrible idea. Just like with most things in the world today - people don't understand that less is more. The World cup is fine just the way it is and the Euros were also fine without the need to have 3rd place teams go through.
At these tournaments we want to see good football and make it hard for teams to get there. What will be the point of the qualifying games which take 2 years, when most teams will make it anyway ?

lewandowskielbasa

Post by lewandowskielbasa » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:11 am

Sydney Polak wrote:Terrible, terrible idea. Just like with most things in the world today - people don't understand that less is more. The World cup is fine just the way it is and the Euros were also fine without the need to have 3rd place teams go through.
At these tournaments we want to see good football and make it hard for teams to get there. What will be the point of the qualifying games which take 2 years, when most teams will make it anyway ?
As much as I enjoy the global publicity [i.e. Eiffel Tower celebrating Polands shootout victory over Switzerland] and my American buddies watching - quality of play will always take a backseat to how Polska performs. Once our team is eliminated, then I start worrying about quality and style on the field. Some fans tune out once their team is eliminated anyway.

Indeed if Polska were to Win a major tournament during this time period it would be somewhat discredited but I'll worry about that if it occurs :naughty:

Party Polak
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Party Polak » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:13 pm

This is faken lame. :red:

No surprise polskaforever loves this idea.

(polskaGOLA)
First Team
First Team

Post by (polskaGOLA) » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:16 am

I'm not surprised polskaforever likes this either.

I have been saying for years, the EURO >> World Cup. By 2026, it will be confirmed.

Gola: "Do you know who Tomaszewski even is Paramount?"
Paramount: "No, and i'm not googling it cause it's some fake"

Wisla4Life

Post by Wisla4Life » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:15 pm

You know this will be used to up 3rd world spots and definitely open up guaranteed births for the arab world because they control the money in the game right now. Can't wait for Brazil 39 Tahiti 0.

polskaforever

Post by polskaforever » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:35 pm

Wisla4Life wrote:You know this will be used to up 3rd world spots and definitely open up guaranteed births for the arab world because they control the money in the game right now. Can't wait for Brazil 39 Tahiti 0.
:lol:

Piast_PL
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Piast_PL » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:20 am

The changes made to Euro Cup last year personally made sense to me, some of you might not agree, but after what I saw last year in Euro Cup and given many of the score lines, I think it's safe to say that many countries have caught up and play a decent style of footy now. Maybe it has to do with the current quality of players each country seems to have, maybe it's also due to the quality of new stadiums and facilities popping up more and more now. Hard to say. But I like it and hope it continues!

As for WC not sure how I feel about that yet.... the changes are still far away so for now I won't sweat it haha. :lol:
"To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat." - Józef Piłsudski