First Team
First Team

Post by Benek » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:19 pm

Rafael Marquez to the Red Bulls!

andyzOr
First Team
First Team

Post by andyzOr » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:04 am

Benek wrote:They aren't that highly paid by the clubs... most of the money made would come from sponsor and endorsement deals. Rafa Marquez for 2.5mil a season... for Red Bull or most MLS owners that's chump change.
you got a source on that?

maciej
First Team
First Team

Post by maciej » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:40 am

andyzOr
First Team
First Team

Post by andyzOr » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:57 am

So hes getting paid 3.1$ million a season, plus sponsor and endorsement deals, plus moving to a leauge, where its easier assess to his family and probably many other advantages in the money and lifestyle surroundings.

Thats a pretty good deal, if you ask me!

shizelmystaniak

Post by shizelmystaniak » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:37 pm

The MLS is certainly getting stronger by the year. They certainly use the potetnial financial power of the US to lure some of these guys in. Gatorade would rather have a spokesperson in NYC then well....anywhere in Poland. With that said I think the Polish league over all has a deeper talent pool. If were you to look at role players in both leagues I would bet the Polish league is stronger, even if its not signing players like Henry.

Benek
First Team
First Team

Post by Benek » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:16 pm

Let's face it, USA is the mecca of sports. Give it another 10-15 years, and MLS will be one of the top leagues world wide. The money is here... simple as that.

karmakop
First Team
First Team

Post by karmakop » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:24 pm

Benek wrote:Let's face it, USA is the mecca of sports. Give it another 10-15 years, and MLS will be one of the top leagues world wide. The money is here... simple as that.
i think in 10 to 15 years it will be like ligue 1. and because of the lack of tradition it will never be like la liga or EPL... unless american born players become as good as the typical euro kids

Benek
First Team
First Team

Post by Benek » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:33 pm

karmakop wrote:
Benek wrote:Let's face it, USA is the mecca of sports. Give it another 10-15 years, and MLS will be one of the top leagues world wide. The money is here... simple as that.
i think in 10 to 15 years it will be like ligue 1. and because of the lack of tradition it will never be like la liga or EPL... unless american born players become as good as the typical euro kids
tradition?

What does it have to do with American born players? majority of the super starts in the EPL aren't even British. They play in the EPL because the money is there...

andyzOr
First Team
First Team

Post by andyzOr » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:52 am

karmakop wrote:
lol in 10 years the MLS will still be MLS and Ligue 1 will be Ligue 1.

In other words, MLS will be the lower calibur league.

Benek
First Team
First Team

Post by Benek » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:04 am

andyzOr wrote: lol in 10 years the MLS will still be MLS and Ligue 1 will be Ligue 1.

In other words, MLS will be the lower calibur league.
Based on what? :lol:

This is America, this is where the money is at...

MLS is attracting more and more players of great caliber.

Marquez was wanted by a few teams like Juve. He's picking NY.
Henry obviously came. You don't think each and every Ligue 1 team would have loved to have Henry? David Trezeguet has said that he wants to be a NY Red Bull next season.

Yea these guys aren't young, but i'm not saying things will happen over night... As MLS keeps getting better and better they will attract more and more major investors. Everything is here. Look at the majority of the sports, most are based in the USA.

Barca is 500mil Euro's in debt lol

Every team in the US can compete financially with each other, that's something European teams can't do.

karmakop
First Team
First Team

Post by karmakop » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:13 am

Benek wrote:
karmakop wrote:
tradition?

What does it have to do with American born players? majority of the super starts in the EPL aren't even British. They play in the EPL because the money is there...
yea and those guys go to EPL because those clubs are famous with generations of history. No kid from Europe will wake up and say, hey i want to grow up and play for the LA Galaxy. Get real Benek... and thats why i said the American born players need to get good because they might actually stay in the US rather than going abroad to famous teams. Hell, even kids in the US dream of playing abroad.

Ill give the league credit when it doesnt hold the title of Retirement League for Good Europeans. Only reason these guys come over is because theyll get more money per week than from any Euro club and are guarenteed playing the sport they love. It s a win win for player and club. Old player is overpayed while club draws in more fans.

What are these rumors that NY might get a second team.

Last night the MAN U reserve team proved how far behind the MLS is skill wise.

FearTheMullet
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Post by FearTheMullet » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:41 am

Well there is tons of money in the MLS - but the competition is totally different. Sure there's cups, but the two (i would argue) BIGGEST cups aren't accessible to MLS teams: The CL and the EL. South america has the Copa Libertadores, which is quite large in its own right, but nothing in NA compares to the prestige of CL. Basically, that's why MLS will always be just a retirement league. These guys are old, and rather play the last 2-4 years of their career at high paying, low work clubs.

Benek
First Team
First Team

Post by Benek » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:04 pm

yea and a few nights before Man You lost to KC......

kids are leaving MLS for other leagues all the time.

this isn't gonna happen overnight lol
talking about 10-15 years

Pan Borkowski
First Team
First Team

Post by Pan Borkowski » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:20 pm

The MLS will never be a top league because of it's location. Skill wise it may one day be good but since Europe has the Champions League, it will always be the best of the best.

The MLS is just lame and the quality of play sucks. The EK is no better but I don't think I'll ever pick an MLS match over an EPL match.

Keep dreaming Benek.

Dj Domino
First Team
First Team

Post by Dj Domino » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:02 pm

The money is there but the salary cap is also there. And it's there because the teams can't turn a profit if they pay out the wazoo for players because the interest isn't there. The owners themselves, if they really wanted to, could bleed money for the heck of it, but that's what they did back in the NASL too which obviously folded.

Until the interest picks up and they can sell out stadiums and soccer becomes part of the mainstream consciousness the USA won't be a major player. And I don't know if that is gonna happen in 10-15 years.

The USA is the mecca of sports it cares about.

Benek
First Team
First Team

Post by Benek » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:21 pm

MLS sky rocketed in the past 10 years, give them another 10-15 and who knows what could happen.

MLS is getting more and more popular as the days go by. It might happen.

karmakop
First Team
First Team

Post by karmakop » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:33 pm

Benek wrote:MLS sky rocketed in the past 10 years, give them another 10-15 and who knows what could happen.

MLS is getting more and more popular as the days go by. It might happen.
idk, mls was a little less popular 10 years ago as it is now. Soccer saturday was around for a while now they can only broadcast games on Thursdays (lame). Before Donovan, there were stars like McBride, eddie pope and coby jones. IMO not much has changed except for money, which is why there are more teams. Talent wise, i think that piotr nowak fire team would rape any team today... or those etcheverry united teams.

Benek
First Team
First Team

Post by Benek » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:38 pm

karmakop wrote: idk, mls was a little less popular 10 years ago as it is now. Soccer saturday was around for a while now they can only broadcast games on Thursdays (lame). Before Donovan, there were stars like McBride, eddie pope and coby jones. IMO not much has changed except for money, which is why there are more teams. Talent wise, i think that piotr nowak fire team would rape any team today... or those etcheverry united teams.
The skill level over the past 10-15 years has gotten a whole lot better.

I doubt Nowak's Fire would rape teams now a days. Speaking of Nowak, if he though MLS was such shit, he wouldn't have stayed to be a coach. Even Robert Warzycha. Those two are probably better coaches than any coach coaching in Poland.

One of the big teams with money and resources should throw a shit load at either one and bring them back to Poland.

Benek
First Team
First Team

Post by Benek » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:11 pm

Alvaro Fernandez signed with Seattle. He's only 24 and played at the WC with Uruguay. Played in 4 games and even started vs Ghana.

Geovanni, Luis Garcia and Nuno Gomes are the latest rumored player to join MLS.

Paramount

Post by Paramount » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:07 pm

Benek wrote:Alvaro Fernandez signed with Seattle. He's only 24 and played at the WC with Uruguay. Played in 4 games and even started vs Ghana.

Geovanni, Luis Garcia and Nuno Gomes are the latest rumored player to join MLS.
I think it won't last, competition in the Euro-Leagues are far beyond the NA league and always will be IMO.