New Ekstraklasa System

The place to discuss all the Polish soccer leagues
Piecyk02
Youth Team
Youth Team

New Ekstraklasa System

Post by Piecyk02 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:05 pm

What do you guys think about this new proposed system, where after 30 rounds there's a kind of playoff to determine the champion and who gets relegated? On one hand I like it cause Polish teams won't have that disadvantage of not being prepared for CL/EL qualifiers, but on the other there has to be a better way than this. A team that finishes 8th after 30 games surely does not deserve to win the league just like somebody who finishes 9th doesn't deserve to be relegated.

Ideally I'd love to expand to 18 or even 20 teams but I guess that isn't realistic with our current talent pool. Here is a really good explanation of the whole system, I'm curious to hear what you guys think...

http://www.polandsoccerblog.com/2012/12 ... .html#more

(polskaGOLA)
First Team
First Team

Re: New Ekstraklasa System

Post by (polskaGOLA) » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:33 pm

Other countries have similar systems to this. (Doesn't Belgium have that?) We could look into how this type of system is perceived over there for comparison.

Gola: "Do you know who Tomaszewski even is Paramount?"
Paramount: "No, and i'm not googling it cause it's some fake"

polskaforever

Post by polskaforever » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:06 pm

I really like this :thumbup:

It may not be the best idea but at least its some kind of change and hopefully it will lead to better things.

Its time to toughen up the league.

polskaforever

Post by polskaforever » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:15 pm

Looks like the decision to reform the league got postponed.

(polskaGOLA)
First Team
First Team

Post by (polskaGOLA) » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:03 pm

Yup, apparently most of the EKS clubs rejected the mere thought of reforming the league system.

MrMariusz
First Team
First Team

Post by MrMariusz » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:42 pm

Belgium has had a playoff system in place for a few years now, *most* clubs like it, but especially the smaller teams' fans are less happy with it.

Piecyk02
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Piecyk02 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:27 am

Pulaski
First Team
First Team

Post by Pulaski » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:32 am

This is really stupid I could see Legia finishing first and then getting knocked out in a playoff to Slask.
Why? What's the point? Our league isn't good enough to do it

patrickjjh

Post by patrickjjh » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:55 am

Lol wat playoff?

PolishPrancer
First Team
First Team

Post by PolishPrancer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:57 pm

We can't risk this. EK is too unpredictable and Slask can't go into CL again, theyre a fluke team.
ps.com has seen napster, aj axurre, rasiak, msn messenger - all of them - come and go quietly into the good night, and here it stands - a profitable internet giant in the face of all obstacles making a tidy profit from google adsense - JDE

polskaforever

Post by polskaforever » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:32 pm

The league starts earlier and more games will be played. Time will tell if this will be successful or not. EK needs some kind of change.

Good news and looking forward to next season.

(polskaGOLA)
First Team
First Team

Post by (polskaGOLA) » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:54 pm

The right kind of change was expanding the league to 18 teams.

18 teams = more games played = forcing clubs to have bigger squads = forcing clubs to spend more money to invest in their team, be it more squad depth or investment in youth that are capable of rotating into the first team = hopefully an improvement on the pitch

Though the counter-argument of course is that clubs will be forced to properly balance their books and in failing so, may risk financial difficult and relegation. But maybe that is the right approach, you shouldn't be in the first division if you aren't financially responsible or economically viable. Plus the extra match ticket and advertisement income will help somewhat.

polskaforever

Post by polskaforever » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:04 pm

18 teams would be stupid. It would mean more useless games between clubs. I think 16 teams is too much. Most clubs have financial problems.

patrickjjh

Post by patrickjjh » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:54 pm

it should be 12 teams.. dump useless teams like ruch, polonia, gks belchatow and podbeskidzie into liga okregowa

(polskaGOLA)
First Team
First Team

Post by (polskaGOLA) » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:26 pm

Ruch and Polonia, Seriously?

Why are games useless Polskaforever? More games for youth, forces clubs to invest and be financially responsible, and more income from ticket sales, tv deals and advertising.

AKsoldier
First Team
First Team

Post by AKsoldier » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:37 pm

My initial reaction was that I didn't like the idea. But were just going to have to wait and see how this pans out.

I'm sure that if things don't work out, they will quickly return to how it was originally.
Bog. Honor. Ojczyzna

patrickjjh

Post by patrickjjh » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:49 pm

(polskaGOLA) wrote:Ruch and Polonia, Seriously?

Why are games useless Polskaforever? More games for youth, forces clubs to invest and be financially responsible, and more income from ticket sales, tv deals and advertising.
how is there more games for youth, and how does it force clubs to invest.. its 2 more teams

ruch and polonia are pretty useless, ruch is so bad i have no idea how they got 2nd place last year, and polonia has a shit stadium + dumbass owners. those clubs wont invest shit

Poznaniak
First Team
First Team

Post by Poznaniak » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:19 pm

AKsoldier wrote:My initial reaction was that I didn't like the idea. But were just going to have to wait and see how this pans out.

I'm sure that if things don't work out, they will quickly return to how it was originally.
They already did it in 01/02 season.

polskaforever

Post by polskaforever » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:22 pm

AKsoldier wrote:My initial reaction was that I didn't like the idea. But were just going to have to wait and see how this pans out.

If Legia wins the title it should help them increase their chances to qualify to CL and other PL clubs in EL since the league will start much earlier :idea:

The EK needed to start earlier since most European leagues by that point were already in action while EK was still sleeping. Summer and winter breaks are way too long :!: So in the end I dont care what the format is. More games and the league starting earlier and finishing later is a huge plus :thumbup:

One of the bad points of EK in the past was conditioning because not enough games were played. This format toughens up the league. Way to go Boniek :!:

polskaforever

Post by polskaforever » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:24 pm

Poznaniak wrote:

They already did it in 01/02 season.
Yes but it was in two groups from the start of the season. This time its a little different. I dont know if last time the league started earlier and as many games were played as in the new format now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001%E2%80 ... kstraklasa