UEFA EURO 2020 qualifying

Talk about the Polish national team
LegiaMistrz1

Re: UEFA EURO 2020 qualifying

Post by LegiaMistrz1 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:19 am

Poland qualified for Euro2020 with two games to go, but that's no big achievement considering the group we were in. By far this was the easiest qualification group I can remember, so considering we lost to Slovenia already and our poor overall play should really tamp down any excitement from qualifying with two games to go. The pressure is off at this point, so we'll probably do well in our next two games, but you never know.

Whatever teams we will play at Euro 2020 will be much better than the teams we played in qualifying, and since we tend to play down to our competition at times this is worrisome. This team didn't really develop an identity in the last year under Brzeczek, and the atmosphere in the team is nowhere near what it was under Nawalka even with some added players.

Positives:
Szymanski and Frankowski. Szymanski seems to fit right into this squad in Kuba's absence, with Frankowski and Szymanski filling in that role I really don't see any point of bringing back Kuba into this team. Brzeczek might be caught in a dilemma here since Szymanski and Frankowski both established themselves under Brzeczek, but he is Kuba's uncle so we'll see what wins out.

Krychowiak. After his move to Lokomotiv, he's back in his element playing like he did in his prime. Even having a poor player like Klich next to him, he's able to step up and flourish.

Qualifying for 3 big tournaments in a row: We have now qualified for Euro 2016, WC 2018, Euro 2020. This has been in the Lewandowski era, and even though 2018 was a huge disappointment lessons I'm sure have been learned especially by the veterans of this team.

Negatives:
Style and Identity. We keep playing a very basic, predictable style that is easily dealt with by qualify teams. If a quality teams pressures our D from any side we shit our pants.

Klich. I really hope this was his last appearance as a starter on this team, I really don't see his contributing much to this team, you can say he's the Maczynski of this team. I would actually argue Maczynski added more than Klich does. I think if Bielik was healthy he'd start alongside Krycha instead of Klich. IMO Goralski and Linetty should be ahead of Klich.

Grosicki. I know I will probably get some heat for this, but Grosicki is the most inconsistent player on our team. Each game you don't know what you're going to get. In the last two games vs. Latvia and Macedonia, Grosicki was extremely aggravating as he often is. He benefits from the team not having much of an alternative on that side. Maybe now with Szymanski and Frankowski coming through they can be a viable option on that side.

Side note. Our home venue, Stadion Narodowy, is a horrible pitch to play on. It's not a natural grass surface meaning the subsurface is not natural soil, it's sod laid on a concrete slab so naturally it moves around and we see players constantly slipping around. It's really embarrassing that in such a high end state of the art stadium the pitch is complete shit.

Michal
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Post by Michal » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:25 am

This team reminds me of the teams of Janas and Engel... got through a mediocre group comfortably without showing much but never showed another gear.

We will get found out next year again against the big teams.

Only hope if drawing small teams being a 24 team tournament.

PL4ever

Post by PL4ever » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:53 am

The 20 teams that qualified via the groups will be joined in March by the four play-off winners, with the pots for the 30 November draw now confirmed.

Pot 1: Belgium, Italy, England, Germany, Spain, Ukraine
Pot 2: France, Poland, Switzerland, Croatia, Netherlands, Russia
Pot 3: Portugal, Turkey, Denmark, Austria, Sweden, Czech Republic
Pot 4: Wales, Finland, Play-off Winners Paths A, B, C and D

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Lust, Envy, Hate, Jealousy - THE 4 DEVILS!!!!

polskaforever

Post by polskaforever » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:12 am

I dont expect Poland to get out of the group this time. Poland would have to play well in all the group games and thats impossible.

Party Polak
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Party Polak » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:25 pm

polskaforever wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:12 am
I dont expect Poland to get out of the group this time. Poland would have to play well in all the group games and thats impossible.

Without evening knowing the groups. Why even bother wasting your time with this team? Portugal got out of the group with 3pts and went on to win the whole tournament.

polskaforever

Post by polskaforever » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:35 pm

Party Polak wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:25 pm
polskaforever wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:12 am

Without evening knowing the groups. Why even bother wasting your time with this team? Portugal got out of the group with 3pts and went on to win the whole tournament.
:lol: thats true.

Portugal has been good for years and consistent at it.

How about Croatia? 2nd and 3rd place finishes in world cup in the last 20 yrs...

What has Poland showed except not how to service Lewy the ball properly and wasting his talent. Just shows how messed up our soccer is.

Its good we qualified. Better than not. Thats all there is to it.

We had an easy group last wc. I dont even need to know what the group is going to be. Im not getting my hopes up here.

PL4ever

Post by PL4ever » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:58 am

PL4ever wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:53 am
The 20 teams that qualified via the groups will be joined in March by the four play-off winners, with the pots for the 30 November draw now confirmed.

Pot 1: Belgium, Italy, England, Germany, Spain, Ukraine
Pot 2: France, Poland, Switzerland, Croatia, Netherlands, Russia
Pot 3: Portugal, Turkey, Denmark, Austria, Sweden, Czech Republic
Pot 4: Wales, Finland, Play-off Winners Paths A, B, C and D

:poland: :poland: :poland:
If we could pull Ukraine from Pot1, and anyone but Portugal from Pot3, and anyone but Wales from Pot4 - Polska has a good chance to finish top of group :!: but of course a lot needs to happen to go our way... No matter what our group looks like, Bialo-Czerwoni DO BOJU :!: :!: :!: :poland:
Lust, Envy, Hate, Jealousy - THE 4 DEVILS!!!!

polskaforever

Post by polskaforever » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:01 pm

I would like England, Portugal and any winner from path abcd.

MG

Post by MG » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:22 pm

I personally want Germany from pot 1; they haven't been playing great since the World Cup in Russia and as Poles, everyone always gives there best when a game against Germany comes up ... so the players, coaches, and fans are always in their top forms. Other than that, from Pot 3 anybody but Portugal and from Pot 4 I don't care as I think all Pot 4 teams will be beatable ... although not saying that anybody will be a cakewalk.

Piotrkol1

Post by Piotrkol1 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:01 pm

Did you know? When we beat Israel away it was our first win in the all-red kit since November 2016 against Romania IIRC. Going back to 2011 Poland is 5-4-4 when wearing all red.