Polska @ World Cup 2018

Talk about the Polish national team
jacekplacek

Re: Polska @ World Cup 2018

Post by jacekplacek » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:57 am

since the current WC format was implemented in 1998, only 4 out of 46 teams to lose their opening match have moved on past the group stage.

Now with what we saw yesterday, who thinks we stand a f'n chance of making it out? My money is on Colombia this Sunday.

Now I get to spend the rest of my day getting made fun of at work for using a vacation day to watch that garbage yesterday.

Classic Polish mentality though, we always think we're better then we actually are. If they respected the opponent and played with an ounce of heart the result could have been different.

Orzel78

Post by Orzel78 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:50 am

Our chances are very slim 9%, it will be a miracle if we beat Colombia on Sunday. We know they are mentally damaged after this loss and no way with Pol mentality they can turn it around 180. Hopefully we are all surprised.
It's sad because on paper this is the best team we had since '82. Might as well call more guys from u21 come fall time.

tpolish

Post by tpolish » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:04 pm

I understand chances are very low if you lose the first game but I feel like maybe there might be more of a chance because there is no super power team and there isn't a really bad team either. All 4 teams are fairly even, which means each game has a higher chance of getting a draw.

Obviously beating Columbia will be difficult but they will be missing their best defender I believe due to red card and hopefully we come out with a different strategy and players. The speed of Senegal really affected guys like Zielinski who normally makes good passes but the speed of senegal kept intercepting his passes. Hopefully he has a much better game and will translate into Lewy getting the ball more.

POC

Post by POC » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:45 pm

I agree with most of what was said here.

The % of us making it to the round of 16 seems scary, but I believe that it may be a little skewed considering the "favorites" of the group both lost on their opening matches.

The magic number is 4 for points to advance (lol cionek's number), meaning we could technically tie colombia and beat japan, but more than likely would need to beat Japan by a large number of goals for the +/- differential. The krychowiak goal could prove to be essential in helping us squeeze through.

Here is hoping that it is our turn to prove that we are a talented team and belong in the world cup. What better way to do so than by sending Colombia home. Regardless of the result, I hope that I am able to watch a team with passion and pride ready to put it all on the line for their country.

2-0 Polska on a Grosicki Turbo Mode hustle goal and a Lewy PK to seal it. Lets go POLSKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andyzOr
First Team
First Team

Post by andyzOr » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:26 pm

Milik is fuckin' awful. Ive been saying this since forever.
We need Ireneusz Jeleń back.

Borubar

Post by Borubar » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:02 pm

When I first saw the starting 11 I couldnt believe it. We were lined up so offensive. Milik was fucking atrocious. Can't believe Nawalka let him be in starting 11 :shock: They guy wastes sooo many chances. He is like a guy who has been drinking whiskey and snorting blow all night and trying to fuck...just can't do it. Failure

seuratski

Post by seuratski » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:35 am

jacekplacek wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:57 am
since the current WC format was implemented in 1998, only 4 out of 46 teams to lose their opening match have moved on past the group stage.

Now with what we saw yesterday, who thinks we stand a f'n chance of making it out? My money is on Colombia this Sunday.

Now I get to spend the rest of my day getting made fun of at work for using a vacation day to watch that garbage yesterday.

Classic Polish mentality though, we always think we're better then we actually are. If they respected the opponent and played with an ounce of heart the result could have been different.
False. Since 2002 7 teams have lost their opening match and still made the knockout stage.

2002: Turkey loses 1-2 to Brazil, and still managed to finish in 3rd place.

2006: Ghana loses to Italy 0-2, eliminated in the round of 16 by Brazil.
Ukraine loses to Spain 0-4, are eliminated in the Quarterfinals by Italy.

2010: Spain loses 0-1 to Switzerland, go on to become World Cup Champions.

2014: Greece loses 0-3 to Colombia. Lose to Costa Rica in the round of 16.
Uruguay loses 1-3 to Costa Rica. Eliminated in round of 16 by Colombia.
Algeria loses 1-2 to Belgium. Eliminated in round of 16 by Germany.

If you go back to 1998, a team losing their first match have roughly 12% chance of making it out of the Group Stage. Poland has a chance to advance still, more importantly because their next match is against Japan, not Colombia. The teams that have advanced after first losing mostly came out and won their next match by multiple goals. Poland has a better chance of beating Japan by more than one goal than they do Colombia. I'm not saying they will, but the day that things go right for Poland is coming. It could be the very next game. Karma will have to make up for the sloppy play against Senegal.

Pulaski
First Team
First Team

Post by Pulaski » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:14 am

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... id=endlink

Up to date odds minute by minute. Great site.

POLSKA Has 26 percent chance to advance right now. Odds constantly change during match play.

Orzel78

Post by Orzel78 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:07 pm

26% seems high for POL. It's more like ~10%.

PL4ever

Post by PL4ever » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:36 pm

"F" the percentages and all the scenario's..... here's 1 and its really simple WIN the next 2 fukin matches :!: :!: Polskaaaaaaaaaaaa Bialo-Czerwoni :!: :poland:
Lust, Envy, Hate, Jealousy - THE 4 DEVILS!!!!

jam-role

Post by jam-role » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:29 pm

Well, i have calmed down a bit after watching possibly one of the worst National team performances in my entire life.
The coach is utterly clueless, all the hype, trademark blue shirt and blazer counts for nothing when you are inept, and thats exactly what nawalka is, inept.
When i saw the starting line up i was literally shaking my head in despair, wtf was he thinking?
Anyway, as i said prior to senegal, he HAS to play Goralski, he has to play Kownacki, he has to play bereszinski, and if he can, he has to play glik.
If he doesn't, hes a moron beyond comprehension.

Orzel78

Post by Orzel78 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:09 pm

Agreed.
Maybe I would put in Fabianski as well.

jam-role

Post by jam-role » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:50 pm

Yes he should play fabianski, he should of been in the 1st game, what an absolute cretin Nawalka is.
I still can still remember looking at the line up and thinking, WTF.

The side is already shot, no confidence , much like Argentina really, they looked the same tonight.

I will support the team as always but bet365 are giving Columbia as 6/5, thats really generous by the bookies.

Pulaski
First Team
First Team

Post by Pulaski » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:53 pm

I am confident we win Sunday if I see Fabiański in goal, Glik with Pazdan in the back, and Milik on the bench. Kownacki definitely should start.

Crazy to think, what if everyone ties on Sunday and Polska and Columbia win on Thursday...imagine the entire group ends up with 4 points????

jam-role

Post by jam-role » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:59 pm

Pulaski wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:53 pm
I am confident we win Sunday if I see Fabiański in goal, Glik with Pazdan in the back, and Milik on the bench. Kownacki definitely should start.

Crazy to think, what if everyone ties on Sunday and Polska and Columbia win on Thursday...imagine the entire group ends up with 4 points????
Well i will be delighted if you are right,
Unfortunately i think we will lose 0-2 or 0-3, mainly because Nawalka is not capable of fielding the correct team, he seems to think Rybus can defend for starters, if i wasnt so pissed it would be hilarious- how the hell can a supposed coach of a national football team not see the blindingly obvious.
Utter shambles,i have every expectation he will start Linetty on sunday,at which point i will turn off the TV.

milicz
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by milicz » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:22 pm

jam-role wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:29 pm
Well, i have calmed down a bit after watching possibly one of the worst National team performances in my entire life.
The coach is utterly clueless, all the hype, trademark blue shirt and blazer counts for nothing when you are inept, and thats exactly what nawalka is, inept.
He has qualified us to 2 major tournaments, has led us to our first win against Germany, took us into the quarterfinals where we were one penalty worse than Portugal the eventual winners. He's the best Polish coach since Jerzy Engel back in the Olisadebe days. He is definitely not inept.
jam-role wrote:
When i saw the starting line up i was literally shaking my head in despair, wtf was he thinking?
Is your question rhetorical? I know what he was thinking, he wanted us to score quickly to turn the game mechanics on their head. Senegal was going to sit back, we know we're not good at positional attacks. It didn't work, but if the players didn't completely shit the bed it may have. None of Senegal's goals came from any tactical decisions on Nawalka's part.
jam-role wrote:
Anyway, as i said prior to senegal, he HAS to play Goralski, he has to play Kownacki, he has to play bereszinski, and if he can, he has to play glik.
I don't think he has to do any of that, but I think all those players could be in the lineup on Sunday. I also think Linetty matches up well with technical teams like Columbia and Japan, much better than with Senegal. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on Sunday over Goralski.
Nie chce mi się z tobą gadać.
You do not make sense you idiot. Please stop posting, or I'll kill you.

polskaforever

Post by polskaforever » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:08 pm

milicz wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:22 pm
jam-role wrote:
He has qualified us to 2 major tournaments, has led us to our first win against Germany, took us into the quarterfinals where we were one penalty worse than Portugal the eventual winners. He's the best Polish coach since Jerzy Engel back in the Olisadebe days. He is definitely not inept.
jam-role wrote:
Is your question rhetorical? I know what he was thinking, he wanted us to score quickly to turn the game mechanics on their head. Senegal was going to sit back, we know we're not good at positional attacks. It didn't work, but if the players didn't completely shit the bed it may have. None of Senegal's goals came from any tactical decisions on Nawalka's part.
jam-role wrote:
I don't think he has to do any of that, but I think all those players could be in the lineup on Sunday. I also think Linetty matches up well with technical teams like Columbia and Japan, much better than with Senegal. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on Sunday over Goralski.
Agree with Milicz about Nawalka.

On Sunday we will know if AN will be staying or going :P

I dont want this end :cry: and hopefully more good surprises :)

polskaforever

Post by polskaforever » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:07 pm

In this day and age (the internet) every opponent already knows everything about you. You cant have mental lapses and try to get away with it. You have to be focused more than ever.

polskazfynezt69
First Team
First Team

Post by polskazfynezt69 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:20 am

andyzOr wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:26 pm
Milik is fuckin' awful. Ive been saying this since forever.
We need Ireneusz Jeleń back.
Jelen? Give me Olisadebe.

POC

Post by POC » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:45 am

Out of curiousty, what is all the beef towards szczesny ? Was he really that awful last game? Or am I missing something? Legitimately asking because it seems like a lot of people prefer Fabianski over him.

Upon rewatching the game on my PVR (I know, depressing that I even did that), I honestly believe a lot of our blunders and mistakes were unforced errors. There was a span of 5 minutes in the first half where Milik had 3 chances to advance the ball on attack and the passes were not even close to connecting. In these moments, if Milik took the time to open up and assess the play he would see about 3 white shirts advancing on the other side without anyone in their vicinity. that play opens up and who knows... senegal had one solid counter in the first through the middle and they made us pay...instead he passes a ball to lewy thats about 15 meters off...
Pisczek also seemed to have a lot of trouble successfully attacking on his wing, and bobbling the ball on a few through passes.

Does Milik deserve a second chance? That is up for AN to decide, and I hope either way the team we field is ready to battle for the country. Lets go polska!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!